Sunday, July 15, 2012

Work College Summer and Anxiety

Life. It's what we live every day. Some aspects of life are work, college, summer and, you guessed it, anxiety. I actually have a lot of that, anxiety. Which is not the best thing for anyone's health. So my solution is to have a great rest of the summer, starting in a little over two weeks. Why two weeks do you ask? Or does two weeks sound like a familiar time frame? Well it is, because today I will be putting in my two weeks, except it's a little more than two weeks, to quit my job. 

Why is this so important in my life? Well first of all I'm actually really excited about it! I will have had this job for a month short of a year and I am ready to just move on with my life and have a few weeks to hang out with friends before the BIG moving day comes along. So all of this gives me a little anxiety but it's all working towards the life that I want for myself. 

Work. So it's been a little stressful lately, well actually since day one. Mostly because this was my first official job, I babysat regular hours every week for some neighbors for three years, and I was a senior in full IB. Yeah, it probably wasn't the best idea to get an official job during an already stressful time in my life. But yeah, I got the job. Anyway, lately it's been just a tad more stressful. And on top of that, I've been missing my summer! All my friends keep going on vacation and then to be leaders at summer camps and other things. This is great but my job often conflicts with time to get together so I haven't seen much of anyone. This is why I'm excited to be quitting, even if a little earlier than expected. I'll finally get to have a real two week relaxing summer without worrying about where I have to be and when. It'll be so nice! Especially before the craziness of moving away to college. 

College. This is also giving me major anxiety, as it gets closer and closer t the moving date. I know I've said before that I'm pretty freaked out, and I feel like a total alien because of it. Now, I'm a natural worry and the kind of person that always pictures the absolute worst scenarios. This is kind of good because usually everything is much better than expected, but I get tons of anxiety about it. By the way, speaking of anxiety and being freaked out, I have to take a speech class, next semester thank God, but still I'm so freaking scared, I HATE speaking in a formal large group setting. Back to college. So it's scary, I'm a decent ways a way from any family with a whole group of new people. The most scary thing is probably the roommate. Before anyone asks, yes, I have my assignment but no I have not called her yet. I might do it in August, or I may even just text her. Hopefully she's more outgoing and gutsy than I am and calls me first. Anyway, think about it. You have no idea who this person is or what they're like. At the worst you'll have some crazy psycho stalker serial killing roommate. At best you'll become best friends! :) Then there's all the in between. I bought a book during the school year called My Naked Roommate. I've was slowly reading it, now I'll have to speed it up so I can finish i before I leave. So, this book talks about tons of college stuff with one chapter devoted to roommates, which I have read. According to this book there are all types of roommates. I know everyone's best scenario is to become best friends, I mean, we all see it on TV and in movies so that's what really happens right? Well I guess that's more rare than we all think, shocker TV manipulates real life situations. So yeah, most likely most people get a normal person whom they live with but don't become friends with, best friends anyway. What I want from my roommate is just not a partier who has a boyfriend is over all the time and anytime I leave the room the sign goes up and I'm kicked out. I've heard many stories like this and it sounds like it sucks. I really want to make a really good friend out of my roommate but realistically that probably won't happen. Which is fine but I just want there to be boundaries that are respected on both sides. Some advice my uncle gave me recently was that people are different, but more importantly raised differently. You may get a total neat freak who wants your side of the room completely spotless too, or a total slob who's stuff always seems to be crossing the line into your domain. You may have someone that's been raised very respectfully or a person who is very blunt and sugar coats nothing. I can tell you this, all the scenarios in the book were, not "bad" scenarios, but realistic and more along the lines of not what you will for sure expect but some things you may expect and how to deal with them. Like I said, I'm just really hoping that this goes smoothly and everything to work out for the best. I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll be writing about roommates before I go to college, as I'm thinking about it a lot and will have more time to once I leave my job. 

That leaves us with summer. So, like I said, leaving my job is going to be hard because it was a great job, but I feel it's in my best interest to spend all the time I can with family and friends before leaving for school. It'll also give me time to prepare better and get everything ready and not be scurrying because I only have a week before I leave. What it will also give me is the opportunity to sit back not worrying about scheduling and have a good relaxing rest of the summer. To be quite honest, I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment